By Emily Fry
Devil’s food cupcakes with vanilla butter cream frosting
Although it is so easy to make cake from a boxed mix and use canned frosting, nothing can beat the taste of cupcakes made from scratch. There’s something to be said for using all fresh ingredients and putting in that little extra time and effort. Overall, cupcakes from scratch beat those from a mix any day. Happy baking!
3/4 cups butter
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups milk
5 Tbsp butter
1 pound sifted powdered sugar (about four cups)
3 Tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla
1. Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line 24 muffin cups with cupcake liners and pre-heat the oven to 350 F.
2. Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
4. Gradually add the sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, making sure to mix well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat for two minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
5. Beat in vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and milk to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition, just until combined. Beat on medium to high speed for 20 seconds more. Fill prepared cups 2/3 full.
6. Bake cupcakes for about 25-30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Let cool completely.
8. Beat butter with an electric mixer until smooth.
9. Gradually add one cup of the powdered sugar.
10. Beat in milk and vanilla.
11. Gradually beat in the rest of the sugar. Add more milk if necessary to reach a spreadable consistency.
Source: Better Homes and Garden Cookbook